Pages

Friday, September 28, 2012

TASTY VEGGIES...REALLY!!!!

Hola mis amigos!

I've recovered completely from "zit take over 2012" and Krumbs and I are making some new resolutions.  I know, I know, I always say I'm going to be healthy, healthy, healthy...and then ice cream, candy or some other tantalizing treat jumps out of my hand and into my mouth!  We know foods don't actually cause pimples, but we do believe that being healthy can only help us! 

Krumbs and I visited the  Livestrong website and read an article for tips on how to eat for healthy skin and guess what we found out? According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, eating fruits and vegetables that have vitamin A may help reduce acne!  That made us super happy because Krumbs and I have a favorite vegetable that is filled, filled, filled with vitamin A--CARROTS!!!

We love CARROT SOUPCarrot Soup is our favorite cold weather soup and it is full of healthy yumminess.  Would you like to try it?  I'll post the recipe down below...but remember...get an adult's permission and help whenever you use knives, microwaves or blenders!

Carrot Soup

2 carrots chopped up                                                       1 cup vegetable broth
1 tsp. milk                                                                         salt and pepper

1. Put the chopped carrots and the vegetable broth in a microwave safe bowl.
2. Microwave on high for eight minutes (or until the carrots are soft)
3. Pour soft carrots and veggie broth into a blender.  (CAREFUL: GET AN ADULT TO HELP--IT WILL BE HOT!!!)
4. Blend until smooth.
5. Pour into a bowl.
6.  Mix in milk and add a little salt and pepper.  YUM!  YUM!  YUM!  YUM!


Krumbs pointed out our recipe for carrot soup is perfect for Carmen Oliver's article on the Cafe.  The article is called "The Veggie Club" and it tells about vegetarians--people who don't eat meat.  The article was interesting.  Did you know there are four different kinds of vegetarian?  There are Lacto-ovo vegetarians, lacto vegetarians, ovo vegetarians and vegans.  (Who knew?)  There are also "semi-vegetarians".  "Semi-vegetarians" eat mostly plant foods,but occasionally, they decide to have meat.  (That's Me, I think!)  Wow! 

Have you ever tried a vegetarian diet?  Krumbs and I have a friend who is a vegetarian.  We've eaten over her house and can't really notice a difference!  We've had bean and cheese burritos, nachos with salsa, beans and rice and cheese souffle...tasty foods and from the foods we ate, I know which kind of vegetarian diet her family follows!  Read "The Veggie Club" by Carmen Oliver and see if you can figure it out too!

See you soon!  Enjoy the soup!

0 comments:

Post a Comment